He was reading a book on ethics. 他正在读一本关于伦理学的书。
He wrote a book on scientific baby care. 他写了一本有关科学育婴的书。
She’s writing a book on her travels in China. 她正在撰写一本有关她在中国旅行的书。
He has written a book about angling. 他写了一本关于钓鱼的书。
She had written a book about her childhood. (G51) 她写过一本关于自己童年的书。
He has been working on the illustration of a book about animals. 他一直在给一本有关动物的书画插图。
再比较:
(1) a book on rabbits 指的是一本论及兔子的学术著作
(2) a book about rabbits 指的可能是一本供小孩看的关于兔子的故事书
2. 表示“带在身上”,一般指随身带的小物品,有时可与表示类似含义的介词 with / on 换用:
He had a pistol about [on, with] him. 他身上带着一支手枪。
Have you got any money about [on, with] you? 你身上带钱没有?
How much cash do you have about [on, with] you? 你身上带着多少现金?
Do you have any identification / ID about [on, with] you? 你身上带着身份证件了吗?
3. 用于数字前,表示“大约”:
A generation is about 25 years. 一代大约是25年。
Please don’t wake me till about 8. 请在八点左右才叫醒我。
I will call for you about 2.30. 我将在2点30分左右来接你。
I went to sleep about 11 last midnight. 我昨晚大约是在十一点睡着的。
4. 在动词 know, hear, speak 等之后用不用介词 about / of, 含义有差别:
I have heard about him, but I don’t know him. 我听到过一些关于他的事,但不认识他这个人。
I’ve heard of him, but I don’t know about him. 我听说过他,但我不知道有关他的情况。
比较:
know sb 认识某人
know of sb 知道有某人
know about sb 知道有关某人的事或情况
hear sb 听到某人(讲话)
hear of sb听说过某人
hear about sb 听到关于某人的事或情况
5. be about to (do),意为“即将”“马上”。注意该短语不与具体的时间状语(如:soon, tomorrow, immediately 等)连用:
He was just about to burst into song. 他就要唱起歌来了。
Work was about to start on a new factory building. 新厂房即将动工。
I was about to leave when you came in, but I won’t go now. 刚才我正要离开, 你就来了,我现在不走了。
Please buckle up now;we’re about to land. 现在请系好安全带,我们就要着陆了。
比较正误句:
正:He is about to return to his homeland. 他即将回乡。
误:He is about to return to his homeland tomorrow.
另外注意:
(1) 该短语可与并列连词when(这时)连用:
I was (just) about to go to bed when the telephone rang. 我正要上床睡觉,这时突然电话铃响了起来。
(2) be about 之后可接动名词(但 be about to 之后不能接动名词):
I was (just) about going to bed when the telephone rang. 我正要上床睡觉,这时突然电话铃响了起来。
本文来自:逍遥右脑记忆 http://www.jiyifa.net/chuzhong/1184323.html
相关阅读:成语翻译:别开生面&别无长物